Monday, August 28, 2006

GPS navigation

A headline in the New York Times' Technology section caught my eye becasuse it was ostensibly right up my figurative alley. For the Frugal, a G.P.S. Receiver With Fewer Frills talks about the Tom Tom One a basic, self-contained navigation system for your car. At $500, this TomTom could definitely save you enough time to make the unit price worth your while...but traffic reports and weather are extra through Tom Tom Plus and would incur cell phone data charges...
Which begs the question: Why do you need this device when similar services can be delivered through cell phones/PDAs? No sale for me. I'll stick with directions from Mapquest or Google Maps Mobile. Of course the latter would require me to get a compatible phone...

1 comment:

Dave said...

Why do you need this? Real-time routing. Miss a turn? GPS Nav will get you where you need to go. I miss my Navi a ton when I'm in a rental car. All the google maps printouts in the world can't live up to Nav.